Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Thushara's Report

To the Empower Team,

I apologise for the delay. I visited Kirigalpotha on the 8th of September. The location is quite remote, the nearest main town is Passara (16 km from Badulla) there on it's another 6kms to Neluwa (another small town). I had to travel another 2kms from Neluwa to reach the village. Therefore accesibility to the village is a problem.



I met with Mr.Mullegama, an elderly gentleman who was very eager to assist me and take me around the village. It was clear that the village primarily consists of paddy farmers. There is an abundance of Jak Fruit as was mentioned, though much of the fruit goes to waste. The main reasons for this wastage was:

1) Problems transporting the fruit (no factories in closest main town Passara)
2) A weak market for unprocessed fruit.
3) A lack of production knowledge to process/preserve the fruit.



On another note, I met with an elderly handicapped gentlemen who lives by himself. He is over 60 and has no means of income, he has to fend for himself. I was saddened by his situation and hope your team can help him somehow when you help this community.

Having visited thevillage, I can say that they are deserving of help. They are eagerly awaiting the prospect of electricity through biogas. I was asked to communicate a reminder of this interest and support to the Energy Forum.

Budhu Saranai
*Traditional greeting (Loosely translated) -May the serenity of the Buddha's be yours

Thushara Pradeep

No comments: